Bohemia Blog by Agent Caroline Barrientos
Working Out Uptown: Nine Favorite Spots to Sweat Uptown | Bohemia Realty
By: Caroline Barrientos
As a lifelong Uptown resident and self-proclaimed workout addict, I spent years commuting all over the city to feed my workout habits. Unaware of the growing fitness scene in Uptown Manhattan, I wasted hours trekking downtown daily. But as Uptown continues to grow and thrive with developing small business, the fitness scene is thriving as well. Here I list 9 neighborhood spots, that if you haven’t already, you’ll want to add to your workout list.
From Yoga to HIIT, private sessions to open gym membership, it’s a wide range of just some of the fitness options available to the Uptown community. Check out each studio’s website for further details on each studio and even more pricing options!
1) Yoga To The People UWS (2710 Broadway): Built on the foundation that yoga should be accessible to all people, this donation based studio is located on the Upper West Side. While the suggested donation is $10, the teachers happily accept as much as you’re able to donate—even it it’s just smile. Bring your own mat or rent one for $2. This studio is an oversized loft-like oasis and the atmosphere is encouraging and welcoming.
$10 - Suggested Donation
$2 - Mat rentals
2) Blink Fitness (116th, 125th, GWB and Riverdale): If classroom based workouts aren’t for you then Blink Fitness might be an extremely budget-friendly option! Blink Fitness has multiple membership levels starting as low as $15/month, locker rooms, personal training, and well-lit rooms that lift your mood and boost your workout. Locations are already open in Harlem and the Riverdale area of the Bronx, with a new location coming soon to the Washington Heights/GWB area. Look at their website to learn more about the membership options at your closest location!
3) Harlem Cycle (2350 Adam Clayton Powell): An intimate studio setting that strives to provide the optimal cycling experience. Capped at 20 riders per class, each ride will foster a sense of community and intimacy. In fact, Harlem Cycle prides itself on Culture, Community, Commitment, and Convenience. These pillars melded together create an overall inspirational experience that will keep you coming back for more.
$25 - single ride
$65 - 3 ride package (>$22/ride)
$200 - 10 ride package ($20/ride)
$80 - Unlimited weekly membership
$185 - Unlimited monthly membership (limit 4 rides/week)
4) Pilates In the Heights (128 Fort Washington Avenue):
Private/Semi-Private/Small-Class Pilates training located right in the heart of Washington Heights. Pilates in the Heights zeros in on creating body awareness for a focused workout. The Pilates technique was developed to prevent muscular imbalances and promote proper skeletal alignment, so with the focused attention of Pilates in the Heights you’re on your way to a healthier, happier you!
$95 - for 1 Private Class
$450 -for 5 Private Classes ($90/Class)
$850 - for 10 Private Classes ($85/Class)
$190 - 3-Class Intro Pack For New Clients
5) Mind Body Soul Yoga (350 Fort Washington Avenue): Since it’s opening in 2009, “Mind Body Soul Yoga,” has grown from a modest smattering of classes taught by a handful of teachers, to a robust studio offering 30+ classes weekly, 15+ teachers, a studio boutique, teacher training, and healing services. Located near the 168th street 1/A/C subway stop in Washington Heights, it’s an easily accessible healing hub!
$22 - Single Class
$190 - 10 Class Pack
$44 - 4 Class New Client Special
$108 - 4 Classes + 60 Minute Massage New Client Special
6) Push Pedal NYC(4080 Broadway): The first cycling-exclusive studio in Washington Heights! This state of the art studio is already crushing the game! Try your first class at a 50% discount with their First Time Rider promo! Prepare for good music, a great atmosphere, unprecedented amounts of sweat, and a new workout addiction!
$25 - Pay-Per-Ride
$12.50 - First Time Rider Promo
$115 - 5 class pack ($23/ride)
$200 - 10 class pack ($20/ride)
7) PRX NYC (4875 Broadway): Pure Results Extreme (PRX) is a fitness facility located off of the A train in Inwood. PRX is an expansion off the PRX14 fitness program developed by celebrity trainer Yusuf Myers. PRX14 is a 14 day program designed to achieve dramatic results. The Inwood studio offers cycles of PRX14 in addition to cycling, yoga, boxing, HIIT training and more. Try a demo class for free!
$20 - Drop-in rate
$180 - 10 Class Pack ($18/class)
$320 - 20 Class Pack ($16/class)
$450 - 30 Class Pack ($15/class)
$25 - Spin Class
8) Bread and Yoga (500 Broadway): An Inwood favorite, this yoga (and beyond) studio offers a wide array of classes ranging from Hatha, Iyengar, Vinyasa, Prenatal, and Restorative. They also offer in-depth workshops in prenatal yoga, beginners yoga, activating and strengthening the pelvic floor, Valentine’s Day couple’s yoga, and more! This studio offers more than just yoga—it strives to build community with anyone who comes through the doors.
$20 - per class
$25 - Unlimited First Week (For First Time Students Only)
$160 - Unlimited 1 Month Membership
$120 - Recurring Monthly Membership
9) Bikram Yoga Bronx (5500 Broadway): This studio is heated up to 104 degrees and offers classes in Bikram yoga, hot Pilates, Bodhi Yoga, and Yin Yoga. You will sweat more than you thought humanly possible. Bikram classes run 90 minutes long and go through the 26 traditional postures. It’s definitely a challenging class but if you’re new to the practice just let the instructor know and check out their website for their helpful tips and guidelines for first timers!
$20 - 90 minute Bikram/Yin/Bodhi Drop-In
$15 - 60 minute Bikram Drop-In
$15 - 50 minute Hot Pilates Drop-In
$49 - New Student 1st Month Unlimited Bikram Membership
Since most of these studios have only opened in the last few years, it’s exciting to imagine what else Uptown has in store! Are there some workout spots you know of that you wish were featured on this list? Reach out to Bohemia Realty Group and tell us what studio, and why it’s your favorite place to #SweatUptown